So my college age sister calls my parents' house this weekend and talks to my 8 yr. old sister. The conversation goes as follows:
Erika (college sister): Hi, Anna. How are you?
Anna(8 yr old): Good.
E: Is Mom home?
A: No.
E: Where is she?
A: The hospital.
E: Why is she at the hospital?!
A: Thomas.
(Side note: Thomas is our 10 yr old brother who has been helping our dad re-roof the house this week.)
E: What happened to Thomas?!
A: He wouldn't stop bleeding.
Apparently, Thomas had a major nose bleed that wouldn't stop and he ended up in the emergency room. Well, they tried to take him to the emergency room. Mom got stuck in traffic on the Interstate and was thoroughly frantic by the time they got to the hospital. Understandably so, by this time Thomas was choking on blood clots and throwing up in the car. Mom was so frazzled that she accidently rushed him to the Heart Clinic next door to the hospital, where the nursing staff took pity on Thomas and treated him there. They had to cauterize the inside of his nose to get it to stop bleeding. Poor kid.
All of this makes me nervous. I'm leaving tomorrow to go home to watch the kids while my parents are away for 5 days. I'M going to be the one rushing people to the hospital if something goes wrong. I don't know if I'm ready for this! I can just visualize it now, I arrive home and the first thing we do is go over a list of safety rules. "You're not allowed to climb on anything taller than you are. You're not allowed to ride bikes without helmets, knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards. You're not allowed to move unless I give you permission..." Yeah, I need to relax. Especially since, my high school aged sister just got her driver's license last week. I really don't want to be a paranoid mom, but that isn't looking very plausible at this point.

<< Home